But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him- John 4:23
It is important to note that the Christian race is a timely race; that is to say, the race in itself is timely and every one that runs in the race have time they are to achieve several feats, Genesis 1:14, Exodus 13:10, Leviticus 23:4, Ecclesiastes 3:1, Ecclesiastes 10:7. If you are not conscious of the time that the body of Christ is moving in per time, you will be left behind, 1Corinthians 9:24. Running in this race is not like the marathon or the 100meters race because they that run the race of the world run to receive a corruptible but we in the Kingdom of God run to receive the crown of eternity that cannot be corrupted 1Corinthians 9:25.
Jesus mysteriously revealed to us in Matthew 6:33 the blessedness that accompanies this race and the requirement for running this race. In John 4:23 He shows us method and understanding necessary for running the race.
- Time– in the first part of John 4:23, Jesus clearly showed us that His coming heralded a change of time and approach in our running the Christian race. Unfortunately, many of us seem to be carried away like the woman in John 4:20 by playing religion and We must consciously take out time to study the scriptures for ourselves to grasp a better understanding of the time we are in Daniel 9:2. A man with understanding is the man that cannot be easily swayed by words or false actions, Matthew 4:24. This era of Christianity is in a particular time/season and for us to fully maximize the blessedness of this season, we must take responsibility.
- True Worship– in the second part of John 4:23, Jesus showed us further what is to happen in the time that He heralds. This is the time/era of True worship. The devil in his deceit and utmost desire to corrupt men to his eternal damnation seem to be making the most of this time than we the Christian folks. True worship is not imagined or thought, it must be practiced. There are several false doctrines and teachings today that there is so much confusion in the body of Christ.
Jesus’ teachings about true Worship
Jesus teaches us a lot about worship. He showed us with His life and teachings that God is the principal and every other thing follows, Luke 2:49. Here are a few of Jesus Teachings on how to serve God in Spirit and in Truth.
- Seek God First- Matthew 6:33 there are so many distraction in the world that Jesus had to clearly point out that seeking God will make you anything you desire in life. There is no short cut to it, it’s either you are seeking God or you are not. Anything gotten outside Christ is vain, Proverbs 13:11, 2Kings 17:15, Job 35:13, Psalm 4:2. We must therefore set our hearts right and put God first and consciously avoid the fleeting vanities of this world that we be not castaway Luke 9:25.
- Peace, Holiness & Righteousness- Hebrews 12:14 our God is a righteous God and there is no unrighteousness found in Him, John 7:18. Jesus is the Prince of Peace Isaiah 9:6.
- Love- 1Corinthians 13:1 any service/worship not done in love is done in self-deceit and God does not accept that kind of service, 1Corinthians 16:14, Colossians 3:14, 1Timothy 1:5
- Purpose- Jesus concluded our anchor scripture John 4:23 by showing us the purpose for the event of the time. There is nothing as important as purpose in this kingdom Ecclesiastes 3:1. The purpose gives us better insight into everything concerning the time and the charge. Here we see that the purpose for true worship is simply because the Father seeketh such to worship. By this, we are brought to the understanding that before this time, the people were worshipping, but they were not worshipping as God desires. Therefore God comes to us with His desire and if we take up His desire, He will take up our desire.
Asking from God is the normal thing for the babes in Christ but for the meat eating Christian, we must begin to listen closely to know what God is asking of us. John 4:23 and Matthew 6:33 are part of the most important scriptures in the bible because they elucidate the desires of God. If you can forget about yourself this year, the cars, the money, and focus your energy this year to fulfill what God desire, then you are in for the surprise of your life. Like my father in the faith- Dr. David Oyedepo will say “Serving God is big time business” and Jesus confirms this in Luke 2:49.
This is the hour, don’t get caught in the distractions of this endtime or continue to play religion else you will be deceived, Mathhew24:24. Open up your heart, pray to God and ask for grace and understanding to serve Him acceptably. Not all service are acceptable.